Frequently Asked Questions
- Where are Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Peugeot, Citroen, etc?
- With a paid license I see fewer models than I saw with demo license. Why?
- I lost or forgot my password. How do I restore it?
- I have an activation code. How do I use it to activate the license?
- What to do if MotorData client software fails to download?
- How to configure MotorData to use a proxy server?
- MotorData client software doesn't connect to the server. What should I do?
- How to unsubscribe from the mailing list?
- How to cancel my current license?
- How to establish a connection between your ELM327 Bluetooth-adapter and PC?
- How to install drivers for ELM327 USB-adapters?
- How to connect to a car using MotorData ELM?
- What should I do if MotorData ELM fails to connect to a car or the data it presents are incorrect?
1. Where are Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Peugeot, Citroen, etc?
MotorData database contains over 400 models from the leading automotive manufacturers from Japan, Korea, China and Russia. The complete model list with details about the content can be found in the «Model Catalog» section.
Manufacturers from Europe and USA are not present in the MotorData database at the moment.
2. With a paid license I see fewer models than I saw with a demo license. Why?
Currently there are 3 access options for paid licenses:
- Full access, all markets
- Japanese market (JDM)
- All markets except Japan
Second option contains right-hand-drive models only, manufactured for Japan domestic market (JDM). Third option contains all models except the JDM ones. Obtaining a license of these two types will lead to fewer models displayed in MotorData client software.
With the minimal price difference we recommend obtaining the «Full access, all markets» license. That may also help when you can't find the right model, but there is a similar model available that uses the same car components — «Search by engine code» and «Search by transmission code» functions will help you find them.
3. I lost or forgot my password. How do I restore it?
1. Click the «Sign in» link from any page of the web site.
2. Click the change password link located below the Log in form.
3. Enter your email address (same as your MotorData login), CAPCHA symbols, and press the button to request password change.
4. I have an activation code. How do I use it to activate the license?
1. Log into your Account.
3. Enter your license code and click the «Activate» button.
5. What to do if MotorData client software fails to download?
1. If you use download manager software, disable it and download the distributable using a browser (in a single thread).
2. If the Internet connection speed is too low, session may time out. In that case please use a faster Internet connection.
3. Mobile internet channels of some cell phone operators may be the cause of a failed download. In that case please use a different Internet connection.
6. How to configure MotorData to use a proxy server?
1.Start MotorData client software.
2. Check the «Use proxy» option.
3. Click the gear icon.
4. Enter the IP address and the port of the proxy server.
5. if required, enable authorization and input proxy server login and password.
6. Apply the changes.
7. MotorData client software doesn't connect to the server. What should I do?
1. Make sure the PC is connected to the Internet.
2. Log in to your Account and make sure you have an active license.
3. Check if your antivirus/firewall software is not blocking MotorData client software. If required, create a rule, allowing MotorData to access the Internet.You can find additional information in your antivirus/firewall documentation.
4. If your network uses a proxy server (usually in corporate networks) you should configure MotorData client to operate via this proxy.
5. If the above conditions are met, take a screenshot with the MotorData error message and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide additional information (OS version, brand of antivirus/firewall, Internet connection type and speed, LAN details), it will help our specialists help you faster.
8. How to unsubscribe from the mailing list?
1. Log into your Account.
2. Open the «Profile» tab and press «Edit».
3. Remove the «Subscribe to MotorData news and updates» checkmark and click the «Save Profile» button.
9. How to cancel my current license?
1. Log into your Account.
2. Open the «License» tab and press «Cancel license».
3. Study the license cancellation terms. If you accept, place a checkmark and click the «Confirm cancellation» button.
10. How to establish a connection between your ELM 327 Bluetooth-adapter and PC?
1. While the ignition is OFF, connect the adapter to the diagnostic slot.
2. Switch the ignition to ON.
3. Make sure that the Bluetooth module of your PC is enabled.
If you are using special software to control Bluetooth (applies to many laptops), check the manufacturer documentation.
- Windows XP: Go to Control panel → Bluetooth Configuration.
- Windows Vista: Go to Control panel → Devices and Sound → Bluetooth Devices.
- Windows 7: Control panel → Devices and Printers → Add a Bluetooth device.
4. Add your device. For connection verification you will be asked for a password to the OBD adapter, usually it is 0000 or 1234 (the password is specified in your adapter documentation).
11. How to install drivers for ELM327 USB-adapters?
- Insert a CD that came with the adapter into your CD-ROM.
- Connect your adapter to a USB port.
- Follow the instruction of the New Hardware Installation Wizard. Specify the drive with the driver CD. Installation Wizard will search the CD for drivers. If a warning about digital signature appears, click «Install anyway».
- If you cannot find a driver CD with your ELM327 USB adapter, please contact the manufacturer.
12. How to connect to a car using MotorData ELM?
Before the first use the PC-ELM327 adapter connection should be configured. See the sections above on how to do that.
1. While the ignition is OFF, connect the adapter to the diagnostic slot of the vehicle.
2. If your adapter has a USB cable, connect it to the PC.
3. Switch the ignition to ON.
4. In MotorData ELM327 tab select the device and click the «Connect» button. The «Initialization status» window will show the connection status.
5. After the connection is established the program will show a message:
The connection was established successfully. You can start diagnostics using the tabs below.
13. What should I do if MotorData ELM fails to connect to a car or the data it presents are incorrect?
1. Update MotorData client software to the latest version.
2. Press keys WIN + R on your keyboard (WIN is a key with the Windows logo on it).
3. In the dialog window type in %APPDATA% and click «ОК» button.
4. Windows Explorer will open - find the MotorData folder and go down the folder structure (folder names replicate MotorData installation path, for example, C → Program Files → MotorData) to the Log folder.
5. In the Log folder find the file with he change date when the connection attempt failed.
6. Send this file to email@example.com. Please include the following information into the email please:
- OS version (you can visit this page on the Microsoft website to learn your Windows version).
- Vehicle brand, make, market, year.
- ELM327 adapter type.
- If a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter is used, include the Bluetooth-stack type (Microsoft or BlueSoleil).